FIREDROP LEAVE NO TRACE ACTION PLAN FOR CAMP FIREDROP 2014:
Firedrop campmates will maintain cleanliness of camp and beyond by carrying out the following duties and reporting to their LNT zone leader. All firedrop campers will live by the LNT motto of “always clean your own mess and one thing extra”. Each of the six zone leaders will be in charge of keeping his/her sextant of camp clean with help of the zone constituents. The six zone leaders will report to the LNT coordinator, Libby Woods.
To Sign up for any of these duties please use the reply form below. State your name and what duties you are committed to performing.
Individual duties for all:
• Be preventative by properly tying down loads, coming to the playa prepared to handle all waste and avoiding bringing unnecessary moop prone items (Contact Libby Woods if you are unsure how to safely and effectively tie down a load for travel)
• Have LNT mottos be a part of our everyday camp life such as “always clean your own mess and one thing extra” and “if it is yours clean it up immediately , if it is moop then it is yours!”
• Empty full waste receptacles and replace liners
• Participate in line sweep on Sunday
• Minimize showers and excessive water use… who needs showers anyways.
• Keep grey water evenly dispersed for effective evaporation
• Carry away your share of waste… and one thing extra
• Work as a community and inform eachother on proper separation of waste
• Contain your ashes, and never let a cigarette but hit the playa
• Report to LNT zone leader to offer help keeping camp clean throughout the week and during tear down
• Sign up to bring “mandatory items”
• All camp members must read the LNT pledge before camping with us.
• Maintain accessible receptacles for trash, burnables, recycling, and compost
• Rotate compost from drying racks to bags
• Maintain three grey water tables: spread the sauce daily for effective evaporation; monitor use and limit showers to minimize end-of-burn grey water transport.
• Evaluate grey water abundance on Thursday and titrate use for remainder of the week with the goal of 100% evaporation
• Carry all camp moop off playa
Mandatory items (please sign up for as many of these as possible):
• Grey water table #1
• Grey water table #2
• Grey water table #3
• Grey water table for under the sauna
• Well-labeled Trash cans (large 30 gallon)
• Well-labeled Recycling cans(large 30 gallon)
• Compost bags (mesh/burlap) or drying rack?
• Waste can liners (heavy-duty 30gallon trash bags)
• Scoop for excess grey water (milk jug with bottom cut off)
• Sealed container for excess grey water (drum)
• Burnable container (box w/ lid)
• leaf rake
• dust pan
• magnet rake
• compost drying racks
• box with lid for burnables
• We will each contribute at least 2 hours of community clean-up
• We will pitch in with our fellow citizens and community service teams to restore the
• natural characteristics of the playa in our neighborhood, removing all burn scars, dunes,
• leftover debris, or other physical traces of our presence.
• Participate in DPW line sweeps and local restoration efforts.
• Volunteer for and support ecological protection and restoration of the Black Rock Desert
Other LNT plans:
• Leave no Trace Training Game- We will test passers by at random for their proficiency in moop alerntness and action. It will be like the BRC classic Hippie fishing involving a fishing pole and a peice of moop attached to the end. If they are able to grab the moop FireDrop will hold a minor parade and celebration and gift them with camp shwag.